Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has called out the “made up, blatant lies” following fresh reports about his future on Tuesday.
With pressure mounting on Solskjaer, reports emerged in the national press claiming the United boss had told his players he will be sacked if they lose their next games against Tottenham and Manchester City.
“I’m good, it’s absolutely no problem,” said Solskjaer, ahead of Spurs’ visit to Old Trafford on Wednesday.
“Sometimes you laugh when you read stories about what I’ve said and stuff.
Stream every game of the 2019/20 Hyundai A-League season LIVE & On-Demand with Kayo Sports.
“At least I know the sources everyone is talking about aren’t sources, they are just made up, blatant lies.”
Three Premier League managers – Mauricio Pochettino, Unai Emery and Quique Sanchez Flores – have lost their jobs over the past two weeks as we enter the so-called sacking season.
Pochettino’s shadow looms large over Solskjaer, having previously been United’s top managerial target and already declaring his intention to return to work in Europe.
Solskjaer, though, is not worried about a “knee-jerk” reaction from United’s owners, who he speaks to “a few times a week”.
“It doesn’t make me more concerned, I’m just focusing on my job and doing as well as I can,” said Solskjaer, whose United side sit closer to the relegation zone than the top four after 14 Premier League games.
“I’m looking at the next game and also looking long term, planning things with the board.
“It is that time of year, it is never nice to see your colleagues lose their jobs. It’s now three in a very short space of time. But it doesn’t make me anymore concerned that it’s December, no.”
Jose Mourinho, the new Tottenham head coach, will be in the Old Trafford dugout on Wednesday for the first time since he was sacked by United last December.